Sunday 23 July 2017

Wishes and Dreams


When I was young we would wish on thistle fluff.  We didn't know where it came from, so unlike dandelions, it wasn't something we could actively seek out. Like Lady Luck herself, they came when they pleased on a gentle breeze and never quite offered what you'd hope.

I developed a ritual of sorts around these sporadic sprites.
- - -
1. Catch a puff (gently!) and make a wish.
2. Let it go and watch it till it floats out of sight.
3. If it hits the ground your wish won't come true.
Of course there's no guarantee even if it doesn't hit the ground though. It's just a messenger to carry the wish to heaven and God will decide.
Pro-tip: Don't wish for big things or mean things. It'll be too heavy and sink.
- - -

When I started writing this I intended to point out the tragedy of poverty encouraging small wishes and cramping even the dreams of children... but writing this out I feel like, maybe greed and malice are two sides of the same coin.

Taking more than your share means someone doesn't get what they need.

There's nothing wrong with small dreams. The "American Dream" where everyone is walking around thinking they're one lucky break away from jetting around the world to their many estates causes so much heartache and prevents people from enjoying the pleasures they have.

I am consistently reminded by the universe to be grateful for what I have. I do have dreams. Some would consider them small, but to me they're perfect.


As long as we remember that dreams are stars to set your sails by, and are not the boat that will get you there, we'll all turn out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment